Monday, May 05, 2008

More Things I Like About Being in Korea

- They wash your hair after they cut your hair here, so it washes away all the little cut hairs. Plus, a good haircut only costs $6. (So I had to tip the lady even though they don't expect tips anywhere here.)

- I can still watch Iron Man in a movie theater!

- Random kids offer conversation starters like "Where is the frog?"

- I'm about to have my first iPod. It'll come in real handy for jogging.

- I live alone. I just realized I've always lived alone in China or Korea, but never, ever in America. Weird, but it makes total sense.

- I'm going to have a cellphone soon. It will take good quality pictures, which will solve two problems. 1- I won't have to buy a camera. 2- When I want to take pictures I'll actually have a camera with me. I was the worst about never having my camera with me when I needed it. I also didn't own a camera for ages. Sometimes I wish there were more pictures to remind me of times past. There's almost nothing, not counting family photo albums. Ah well. I'll probably get to watch the whole movie of my life after i die, complete with what other people are thinking and feeling and how my actions rippled out into their lives and the lives of countless people I've never met.

- I've finally really discovered Skype and all its glories. Soon I'll have a web cam and that will highly rock. Can't wait to talk to my nephew and nieces with that! Who knows if I would have gotten around to that in the States.

- It's still way cool that I get to hang with Lex here after hanging with her at Bosch and Evergreen. I always wanted to hang with a friend from the States in a foreign country that we're both living in. Check that off the list.

- I don't have to worry about rent or a car. Plus, all my bills come out of my paycheck. I love it. I'll have to keep up with my pay-as-you-go cellphone and my credit card debt back home but that is it baby!!!

- I'm blogging again.

- My bed is sufficiently hard, something that was almost impossible in the States.

- I'm not hearing or talking about politics, sports, and other things that just cause me stress without giving me much in return, and which I don't have any real affect on.

- I have no TV!!!

- I just uninstalled all the computer games off my computer! If they're there I'll never stop playing them. If they're not I'll just do other things. I'm weird like that. Happens with food too.

- I can't understand a word of what's being said on advertisements, both written and spoken! It's a peaceful, easy feeling.

- I've been able to teach the Faith some already! I realized two things. 1-I'm out of practice. 2-I've got to teach myself more before I can teach much to others.

- There's a spicy, chewy snack here called Dokboki. It's delightfully chewy, quite spicy, and yummy tasty good! The kids are crazy about it, Actually everyone seems to love it. It's a traditional snack. Very Korean. It's basically these chewy pasta-like gobs of dough in a spicy, red sauce.

- I have lots of spare time and my job isn't stressful. I can just screw around in that time, OR I can do lots of productive things like prayer, reading Baha'u'llah's writings, meditating, exercising, studying Korean, reading other Baha'i writings, learning how to be a better teacher, keeping in touch with family, and much, much more!!!!

- I can get real bread right across the street from my work! (As long as I just want a baguette.)

- I'm slowly but surely figuring out this teaching thing. I think I like doing it this way, though the schedule can't be long term. I don't know if I'm really made for teaching back in the States, at least not normal teaching. Teaching ESL to Asian kids could really be my bag though. It's nice to feel that I may be on my career track, or at least that a career track exists in what I'm doing! I can just be doing it for a while and then decide I'm making it into a career. That feels more sustainable than most stuff I've done for work.

- God is with me wherever I go! Closer than my life-vein!

3 comments:

JB said...

great post Daniel-! sounds like things are going very well which i'm so happy to hear! thanks for sending me this url; i'll reply to your email soon.

JB said...

yeah, where is the frog, anyway?? ;-)

Ramin said...

hey, I was searching for more information about the Baha'i community in Korea and your blog came up. I'm thinking of moving to South korea as an ESL teacher and would like more information about life and the Baha'i community there. email me back if you can (ramin.gillett@gmail.com). I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Ramin